Monday 10 February 2014

So Rich in Faith - It Makes Me Envious!

Olah,

It feels like I haven’t blogged in a while …. though it’s not true… one, because 3 days is not awhile, and two, because I HAVE been writing, but not graciously enough to post… learning much about myself ... I see a learning curve - upon coming to India I felt immense sympathy and compassion for the poor - as I should, only a monster could see these starving children, and horrible living conditions and not pity them. But I have learned two things… firstly that poverty doesn’t matter as much as my foolish heart says it does. They need Jesus as well as food - or in other words, Life in heaven for eternity - before life on earth for a short while.

For many people here death might be seen as a blessing - on the bigger picture, death for any of us - to go to heaven to be with the Father ... would be a blessing. It is a lie that we have ingrained in our heads in America - that life is supposed to always be rosy, happy, and comfortable. Let’s never forget that we live in a fallen world… I may be wrong, and often am, but I think that the pain here encourages people to follow after false gods, and this is the devil’s plan for the east. On the other hand, America’s wealth and comfort encourages us to live for the things of this earth… the devils plan for the west. 

In North America we have to work hard to believe in the supernatural … I remember a point when I questioned whether God was real or not… or when I thought faith was believing THAT God existed…. Stupid, over here not a soul would doubt the existence of the super natural... for example, demon possession is common place - Christian’s who are often in prayer will cast out these demons for people of all religion’s …. on the other hand people who practice witchcraft will charge up to $500 to cast out a demon in the name of the devil - this is a very common, yellow page in the phonebook type of business….

Anyway - I realize that I must prioritize evangelism before humanitarianism … I ask that you would please not see my effort to see orphan homes being built as only a humanitarian effort.  It is in many ways very humanitarian, but more than that, we are instructed to take care of the orphans and widows. It is my prayer that we will provide a place for these children to grow up and live by faith, to the glory of our Father. Beyond this, each orphan home also serves as a Church for the community. Pastor Vijay Babu has 10 pastors in 10 villages under his employ - I will be meeting and writing about them this Thursday - a brief bio on each. I believe that if the Lord will provide, we should open an orphan home in each of these villages.

I have seen something else in my short time here… In Canada I see a pattern - there are people who are less wealthy as far as money, yet very wealthy in faith.  In India it is the same, most people are not very wealthy - and yet are rich in faith.  In Canada I know 4 or 5 of these people who are so very rich in faith and not in finances  … here however, I have seen many, many, who are sooo rich in faith, yet without finances. In India there is not much to life, not much complication - so when one becomes a Christian, they give up their whole life.  There are two ladies who live and work in the orphan home - cooking meals and being mothers to the children… they have given all of their lives to Christ - holding nothing back.   

I came here wanting to preach to Indians, with a passion especially for orphans and unreached people groups. But my perspective has flipped - we in Canada need missionaries from India, the church in Canada should see the Church here -- the priorities here make a lot more sense.  In other words, I have a burden for our Church in Canada - and our stumbling block of comfort. I wish you could all see this incredible faith here … I envy this faith so much!

This Sunday I asked the Church in India to pray for the Church in Canada.  I invite you on behalf of pastor Vijay Babu, and Love and Compassion Ministries - to come to India, to preach and share the gospel, but also, to experience the financial poverty ... and the riches of faith.


I also would encourage you to talk to your church, and consider supporting a pastor from India to come to as a missionary to share this great faith.   

No comments:

Post a Comment